The Coalition Government's austerity programme is set to last for another four years, but the cuts will severely impact upon many vulnerable local people. The Tory-Lib Dem government have already overseen:
- the scrapping of Child Trust Funds.
- - the rise in VAT costing an average household an extra £275 each year.
- - entitlement to child benefit for people earning over £44,000 being removed costing families £1,055 each year for the eldest child and £749 for younger children.
- - a freeze in the value of child benefit, causing families with children to lose over £100 per annum
- - the Health in Pregnancy grant being abolished costing new mums £190.
- - the Winter Fuel Allowance for pensioners being cut this winter by £50 for pensioners under 80 and by £100 for pensioners over 80 .
- - financial support to employers to take on young unemployed people being cancelled after the Future Jobs Fund was axed (even though youth unemployment is at a record high).